Every homeowner knows a flood from storms or plumbing damage is bad, but rarely do Apex homeowners take time to consider minor water intrusions. If the crawl space in your home floods during heavy rains, odds are you also have other moisture issues in your home’s foundation. These are the most common types of moisture problems, and they can lead to structural weakness and even health issues. The problem is that over time, excessive moisture can create a damp environment that is a breeding ground for mold and pests.
The best insurance against moisture damage is to prevent moisture from entering your home in the first place. This is accomplished by hiring the professionals at Crawl Space & Basement Technologies to waterproof your Apex crawl space.
Spot Moisture Problems in Your Apex Home
- Mold or moisture damage in the crawl space or living areas
- Musty odors in living space
- Condensation (“sweating”) on air conditioning ductwork or equipment
- Condensation on insulation, water pipes or truss plates in the crawl space
- Buckling hardwood floors
- High humidity in the living area
- Insect infestations
- Rot in wooden framing members
How Water Enters Your Apex Crawl Space
- During heavy rains, the water saturates the soil and migrates to the lowest grade.
- Rainwater can also soak through porous concrete and form as condensation on the inner block of the wall in a crawl space.
- Homes in high heat and humidity climates like in North Carolina often utilize crawl space vents. This allows the hot, humid air to travel through the vents creating condensation on HVAC ducts, joists, and insulation.
Is Water Intrusion Preventable?
First, you must address the sources of the water intrusion, then eliminate it. If your Apex home was built on a flat or negatively graded lot, then you cannot stop water from intruding into your crawl space. The problem arises from ground saturation. This means that water will migrate under any French Drain and footing, thus entering the crawl space. It is a common misconception that French Drains will keep water out.
The solution to this problem involves installing an Interior Drainage System to collect and remove water as quickly as it enters the crawl space. An experienced Apex crawl space waterproofing professional is the best choice for your home!
Steps to Proper Crawl Space Waterproofing in Apex
- A drainage trench will be dug around the interior crawl space perimeter
- Weep holes are then drilled through the interior side of the base block
- Specialized drainage pipe is installed in the trench
- The pipe and trench will be covered and filled with 3/4 inch gravel
- Gravity discharge is the standard method for draining water, however certain situations require a sump pump system.
Avoid an emergency and save yourself a water-related headache by contacting the Apex crawl space waterproofing professionals!
Contact the Crawl Space Waterproofing Apex Specialists to Remove Moisture from Your Home
Schedule your no-obligation estimate today! We will visit your home to give you the most accurate price point for the job. Our trained specialist will guide you through the options to determine the best solution for you and your budget.
We will permanently waterproof your damp crawl space and keep it rodent, insect, and mold-free! Our work includes a lifetime warranty, so you can rest easy knowing your home has been properly sealed.