Is Your Crawl Space Damaging Your Home?
The crawl space from your Clayton house is the origin of most of the “dirty” air in your home. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, 60% of the air you breathe in the first floor of your house travels through the crawl space. When you choose crawl space encapsulation, you reduce the moisture build-up and extend the life of your home in Clayton, NC.
A crawl space is usually kept under negative pressure because of the penetration in the floor that separates your living area from your crawl space and air leaks from your HVAC system. In summer, this negative pressure draws hot and humid air into the sub-level of your home. Mold growth occurs when the moisture of the crawl space mix with the hot air pulled from outside. Having organic materials like the paper backing of insulation or even the wood floor joists create a food source and an area for mold to talk hold. This is a favorable breeding ground for microbial activity. This “dirty” air is then pulled into your living space environment which mixes with air your family and you breathe.
You could resolve all these issues by sealing the crawl space with a custom encapsulation from Crawl Space and Basement Technologies. Just give us a call at 919-847-7072!
8 Reasons You Need Crawl Space Encapsulation
1. Humidity Control. You can control the humidity level in your entire Clayton home. When hot, humidity in the air can access your crawl space through the foundation vents, and then the rest of the house! The EPA, American Lung Association, and the American Medical Association recommend maintaining a relative humidity level in the 30% – 50% range.
2. Crawl Space Vapor Transmission Removal. According to the EPA, 60% of all air on the 1st floor of our homes comes from the crawl space. Without sealing your crawl space, the “dirty” air is allowed to permeate the rest of your house.
3. Clean Climate Production. By creating a new, dry and clean climate, mold growth would no longer be supported in your crawl space. An excess of moisture encourages mold spore growth which requires licensed mold remediation to remove. Sealing the crawl space with a non-organic material will reduce the surface areas where mold can grow.
4. Odor removal. With crawl space encapsulation, you will eliminate stale, musty odors caused by moisture.
5. Insects and rodent prevention. Insects and rodents prefer a damp environment to nest. Crawl space encapsulation will prevent moisture build-up and discourage insects and rodents. Plus, it will seal any cracks or openings that may be an entry point for pests.
6. Money-saving. the U.S. Department of Energy mentions: “If you properly insulate your crawl space – in addition to air sealing and controlling moisture, you will save on energy costs and increase your home’s comfort “A Consumer’s Guide to Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy – Crawl Space Insulation.” Some homes see a decrease of energy costs up to 15% per year from crawl space encapsulation by our Raleigh-based professionals. The efficiency of your HVAC system is reduced because of open foundation vents found in most homes.
7. Structural Integrity. By encapsulating your Clayton crawl space, you will preserve the structural integrity of your house. The ground below most homes contains large amounts of moisture – which enters an exposed crawl space as water vapor and, in some cases, may even become puddled water. When you combine that moisture with the dark and dank conditions of a crawlspace, you have a noxious, destructive environment where mold thrives and spreads across any organic material at an alarming rate. Aside from the fact that moist wood is like a dessert tray to termites, rot, and decay set in and can eventually destroy the structural integrity of your home.
8. Peace of Mind. Your clean, dry crawl space will improve the air quality in your living space, and will also discourage pests and mold growth.
A Sealed Crawl Space Can Improve Your Air Quality & Increase the Value of Your Clayton Home!
Crawl Space & Basement Technologies in Clayton, NC. hold the Council-Certified Microbial Remediation Supervisor (CMRS) designation. Our word is guaranteed with a lifetime warranty. You can be confident in our expertise!
Get an Estimate for Crawl Space Encapsulation in Clayton Today!
Give us a call today at (919) 847-7072 or fill out our contact form to learn more about crawl space encapsulation, basement waterproofing, and our other services. Schedule your free estimate today. Our well-trained specialist will guide you through the options to determine the best solution for you and your budget.